December 15, 2017 @ 4:49 pm

Amen brother! With the exception of #9, I’ve pretty much fallen for them too. It definitely pays to strike a balance between being prepared and spontaneous, something I’m forever fine-tuning. Oh and I still overpack, after years of backpacking, sigh.

December 18, 2017 @ 7:02 pm

Cheers, David. I am pretty sure I only went without travel insurance a couple of times and only for a city break but you can never be too careful!

2. Jenn
    December 15, 2017 @ 6:30 pm

Great post! You raise so many great points – I have made a few mistakes mentioned here myself, but it’s always a work in progress! My favorite points you made are on putting down the camera, and also on animal interactions. Thanks for sharing!

December 18, 2017 @ 7:01 pm

Thanks Jenn – I deliberately spend a few minutes taking in views nowadays before picking the camera up!

3. Harini
    December 17, 2017 @ 3:50 am

I have bookmarked your article.This will be useful for any traveller.

4. Vicky
    December 18, 2017 @ 12:13 am

Great articlea I know we’ve definitely fallen into some of these traps without realising!

#3 reading guidebooks can make a place sound so dull, and travelling so monotonous. On our current trip I read a lot more blogs! Even if we don’t follow them exactly they bring places alive!

#feetdotravel

December 18, 2017 @ 6:59 pm

Thanks Vicky – I find that blogs are a great way to find out about cool and non-touristy places and is a great way to really get to know a place!

5. Paul and Carole
    December 19, 2017 @ 7:59 pm

Really useful post, full of great advice. We have made a few of these too, and totally agree with not over planning, we have had some of the best experiences when just going with the flow. Excellent post!

6. Kate and Kris
    December 20, 2017 @ 8:48 am

Great advice! Always best to balance planning and being spontaneous and sometimes to put down your camera and trust your memory to remember the experience.

7. Ruth
    December 21, 2017 @ 5:41 am

I think we all have made these mistakes in one way or another. When I started to travel, I was into the over planning, over packing trend. With time, that burned me out. I have get to know my travel rhythm and now I can decide what to do on a day based on that. As an introvert, I am not that spontaneous. The good thing is that my husband is. He has no problems taking to strangers and doing things off the beaten path. That is good for me since I can jump into that bandwagon. #feetdotravel
    Ruth recently posted…8 Reasons to Visit Viktualienmarkt – Munich Best MarketMy Profile

January 7, 2018 @ 6:06 pm

The overpacking thing is something I am trying to tackle (have a fancy new bag) so hopefully that will make me feel more relaxed on the road and help with spontaneity too!

8. Carmen Baguio
    December 21, 2017 @ 11:06 pm

I’ve made most of these mistakes! Forgetting our cruise ship was stopping in Turkey and the bank not knowing made for some major money issues. Another big one for us is sometimes splurging on better travel. Our older joints can’t always handle cramped airline seats or long layovers.

January 7, 2018 @ 6:04 pm

Wow, yeah that would be annoying! My bank has blocked my card after I used it in Thailand once so I feel your pain! Nothing wrong with splurging once in a while!

9. Shona
    December 22, 2017 @ 7:56 am

All of the above! Although I am getting better at packing only the essentials clothing-wise, it’s the shoes that seem to be an issue. 😉 Great reminders (especially travel insurance – yikes!)
    Shona recently posted…HOTEL REVIEW: Tolarno Hotel, St Kilda, Melbourne!My Profile

January 7, 2018 @ 6:02 pm

Sometimes I panic and think I haven’t bought travel insurance only to remember that I did for a previous trip a few months back (I tend to buy 12 months of insurance at a time)

10. James
    December 22, 2017 @ 10:42 am

I too am guilty of taking photos and not appreciating the view that’s in front of me. Also not getting travel insurance for myself – only my cameras! I’m also guilty of overpacking – carrying things around with me that I never use. Or the new travel blogger problem – carrying around all the gifts you receive whilst traveling!

January 7, 2018 @ 6:01 pm

Phew, glad I am not the only one! Sounds like we have plenty to work on going forward haha!

11. Trippin' Turpins (Kelly)
    January 2, 2018 @ 2:35 am

Fabulous post! Full of good information….. we are also guilty of making some of these mistakes! I will be putting this out there on SM so others can learn from our mistakes LOL