January 19, 2017 @ 10:44 pm

Oh wow I wish we had your guide before we went! Somehow we seemed to have missed loads of these dishes, probably because we were living on amazing sushi and ramens. We saw many things like that Okonomiyaki in packets, but didn’t buy anything … however we did LOVE Bento boxes at the train stations, we loved trying to find the most elaborate ones… great post! will pin for if we can ever afford to go back!
    Garth recently posted…12 Best countries to visit in 2017My Profile

January 20, 2017 @ 10:58 am

Yeah I saw all the beautiful ekiben at train stations! Amazing aren’t they? I miss Japanese food so much – writing this post took ages because I just kept thinking about it!

February 2, 2017 @ 6:07 pm

It’s so easy to live on just a few things there because it all tastes so good! I probably didn’t even try half of what I wanted – there is always next time! YES – the ekiben! I did have it once on the train from Kyoto to Tokyo – wish I got it more often though to try all the different varieties!

2. Midori
    January 20, 2017 @ 9:59 am

AAAAAAAAAAH!!!! Everything looks so delicious!!!! I love japan food! And this guide is amazing!!!!

January 20, 2017 @ 10:59 am

Thank you! Japanese food is so tasty! I could live on it quite easily!

3. Simona Barbu
    January 20, 2017 @ 9:34 pm

I love Japanese food! That ice cream looks amazing. A great guide that will come in handy when visiting!
    Simona Barbu recently posted…A secluded beach to celebrate NYE as a coupleMy Profile

4. Shona
    January 21, 2017 @ 8:18 am

Perfect timing, I head to Tokyo next month so your post will be my mission to accomplish! LOL!

February 2, 2017 @ 6:01 pm

You will have an incredible time – I am so jealous!! Try everything!

5. Anna Schlaht
    January 21, 2017 @ 4:50 pm

I love most Japanese food (at least what I can get in the States), but there are some things on this list I’ve never heard of that look incredible! It makes me excited for the day we can visit and eat our hearts out; if we do make it over there, we’ll definitely use this guide. Yum!

February 2, 2017 @ 6:00 pm

You guys definitely should go! You’ll find plenty of good hiking outside the cities and the food speaks for itself!

6. Oana
    January 21, 2017 @ 10:06 pm

Everything looks so yummy – now I want to visit Japan and eat all the goodies. Eating local food while travelling is my favourite thing to do.

7. Paul and Carole
    January 22, 2017 @ 10:46 am

This is a really useful guide as we wouldn’t know where to start! Have pinned this for future reference. Great post! #feetdotravel

8. Sarah
    January 22, 2017 @ 11:16 am

I used to work in chain restaurant in the UK that liked to think it’s Japanese. The real thing looks sooooo much better. Want to eat all of this! 😀

February 2, 2017 @ 5:58 pm

I am yet to find a good sushi place in London other than one less-visited chain which does some great take-away rolls. Nothing compares to the real thing though!

9. Diana - MVMT Blog
    January 22, 2017 @ 8:54 pm

I pretty much live for ramen and just got so hungry reading that. Also the gyozas – I know gyoza isn’t a rare find but those gyozas in your photo look so good. Japan would definitely be a food paradise for me 😀

February 2, 2017 @ 5:59 pm

The ramen I had in Tokyo was just incredible. I can’t praise that place enough!

10. Trippin' Turpins (Kelly)
    January 23, 2017 @ 12:22 am

I love Japanese food! Great guide, I have pinned with the hope of visiting Japan soon 🙂

11. Siddharth and Shruti
    January 23, 2017 @ 6:54 am

Wow. This is amazing. We love Japanese food. Definitely going to bookmark this page for the future.

12. ThriftyTrails
    January 23, 2017 @ 6:37 pm

We’ve eaten 11 out of the 15 on the list! Great list too! I am so glad you have Melon Pan Ice Cream on there. We also got ours from from a food truck in Dotonbori, Osaka and I have been obsessed ever since! Love love love this list! Pinned for future drooling…I mean reference

February 2, 2017 @ 5:57 pm

That’s really good going guys! You definitely did your trip right! Dotonbori is amazing, isn’t it? We probably got it from the same place!

13. Jenn | By Land and Sea
    January 24, 2017 @ 12:38 am

Since I don’t eat seafood, I’ve always wondered if there would be food in Japan that I could eat. You answered this question! There are so many yummy options to choose from! I must go make dinner now – I’m drooling over all of this goodness!!

February 2, 2017 @ 5:54 pm

Jenn, you would find plenty of great food there! There is so much variety and it’s all so delicious!

January 24, 2017 @ 6:24 am

Oh my gosh…I don’t think I can go to Japan. I would never stop eating! I’d be worried about fitting on the airplane to get home. 😉 Everything looks SO good. Aaaand now I have a craving for Ramen. Mmmm.
    Rob+Ann @TravelLatte(.net) recently posted…Monday Travel Motivation: Travel Formed MeMy Profile

February 2, 2017 @ 5:55 pm

Just do what I do and walk everywhere! Great way of seeing the country and also a perfect excuse for eating loads – gotta get those energy-replenishing carbs in! Now you mention it, I am craving ramen too!

15. LISA
    January 25, 2017 @ 12:01 am

Lots of deliciousness to choose from. Can’t wait to visit Japan and try some of these dishes. Have to do some hiking after these meals because I would definitely over eat! Pinning for later, thanks!

February 2, 2017 @ 5:52 pm

Thanks Lisa – I did a lot of walking in Japan so that was my way of justifying eating so much over there!

January 26, 2017 @ 10:40 am

Yum! This list is making me hungry and Japanese cuisine is awesome! Gyoza are awesome, as are basically everything on this list. Man, I can’t wait to go back to Japan!

17. Sandy N Vyjay
    January 27, 2017 @ 5:56 am

Japan comes across as a paradise for foodies. You have rounded up the best from Japanes cuisine in your post.

18. Tracy
    January 27, 2017 @ 4:58 pm

Reading this when hungry is not a good idea!!! My daughter is off to Japan in July so will be sharing this and making sure she reads it!!

Can’t wait to visit Japan! Would eat all of that (except anything with fish!!)
    Tracy recently posted…A Virtual Cuppa – January 2017My Profile

February 2, 2017 @ 5:47 pm

She will have an amazing time and so will you when you eventually go! There is plenty to eat in Japan other than fish, so you will be absolutely fine!

19. Maria
    January 29, 2017 @ 11:15 am

So interesting to see that there is so much more to Japanese cuisine than sushi and Kobe beef. It all looks so delicious, I can’t even pick a favourite..!

February 2, 2017 @ 5:40 pm

There is so much more too! I need to go back and try all the other amazing stuff!

20. Anna
    January 31, 2017 @ 12:24 pm

It is never getting any better than sushi for me! It appears Japan has much more to offer… the list of foods looks so delicious. Would love to visit Japan one day – pinned and tweeted not to miss all these dishes!

February 2, 2017 @ 5:48 pm

Japanese sushi will turn your world upside down! It’s soooooo good! Plenty of other yummy stuff everywhere you go too!