1. LISA
    October 1, 2016 @ 11:49 am

I think it’s great when you “fall into”an adventure. Looks like you made the most of all the activities going on and still exploring off the beaten path ones. Glad you had a great time!! Looks like an interesting place for sure.
    LISA recently posted…Barrel Run Crossing Winery in OhioMy Profile

October 6, 2016 @ 6:23 pm

Thanks Lisa! I somehow managed to not visit Chinatown until this visit (my 5th) and this was a perfect way to do so! I’m thinking of doing it again sometime!

2. Live And Die In Afrika
    October 1, 2016 @ 1:07 pm

I also spent the Ethiopian new year in Ethiopia for the very first time. September 11th 2016. I’ll be sharing my story on my blog.

October 6, 2016 @ 6:25 pm

That’s so cool! What kind of calendar do they use? What’s the story behind it? Looking forward to reading it!

October 1, 2016 @ 1:40 pm

A Chinese New Year is on my bucket list so I read this post with great interest! I will be in Thailand for Songran and had to google when new year is in 2017 (it’s 28 January) hmmm, may see what I can do 🙂 I love the colourful photos, storytelling behind the Golden Buddha and the food!!! I have pinned to my Thailand board for the future 🙂

October 6, 2016 @ 6:26 pm

Angie, you should totally try and get there early! Either way you’ll have an amazing time – I’m also tempted to go for Songkran! Definitely spend some time in Chinatown when you’re there!

4. Becki
    October 2, 2016 @ 8:00 pm

I’m heading to Bangkok next March, so will not be there for Chinese New Year, but I bet it was really cool to experience!

October 6, 2016 @ 6:27 pm

It was amazing and totally unexpected! You’ll have an incredible time regardless and I might even bump into you if I decide to head over!

5. Jenn
    October 2, 2016 @ 10:51 pm

I can only imagine how fun this must have been! We caought Chinese New Year in San Francisco’s China Town last year and it was great, but I’m sure that pales in comparison to how cool this must have been! What a great immersion experience!!

October 6, 2016 @ 6:29 pm

That sounds really cool, Jenn! Definitely try and spend it in Asia sometime! It’s a great and very colourful experience. I’ll try and keep an eye out on festivals like this better in the future!

October 3, 2016 @ 12:28 am

I love Chinese new year and always try to plan my trips to Asia around it. I know what you mean though, I’ve totally forgotten about many special events while travelling. I even struggle to remember the day of the week sometimes!

October 6, 2016 @ 6:30 pm

Barry, I’ll probably miss Christmas one day! You do lose the track of time with these things sometimes! Do you have any recommendations for where best to spend it in Asia?

7. Davd
    October 3, 2016 @ 12:06 pm

Ok, watching fireworks from a plane is super cool! I think visiting places during festival is a super great experience, even better when it’s unexpected. When I last visited, it was around the King’s birthday and the city came alive. Looks like you had a great time mate.

October 6, 2016 @ 6:34 pm

David, I wish I could capture the fireworks better! It was a stunning sight! It was a great way to set up the rest of the trip!

October 4, 2016 @ 9:16 am

Sounds like a great spontaneous trip Alexei! I was lucky enough to witness fireworks from a plane once, it’s an amazing viewpoint, my photos weren’t great either! I’ve been to Chinese New Year in London, but your trip must have been good fun in the warmth of Thailand. The colour of all the celebrations just look amazing, and all that delicious food!! I’m pretty sure I recognise Wat Traimit too, i think we went there.

October 6, 2016 @ 6:35 pm

Love how colourful and eclectic these celebrations are in Asia. It was a privilege to witness it there and I have some amazing memories! The food was out of this world! Thanks Garth!