August 12, 2016 @ 9:12 am

Looks like a lot of fun Alexei. When I visited, I just took the ferry over and hiked around the island, but I wish I had done this too. If my memory serves me, apparently the island was also a quarantine zone during times of plague, so sailors had to first stop there before they were allowed into Dubrovnik. Worth a day trip.

August 12, 2016 @ 10:12 am

We ran out of time so didn’t have time to head over but really wish we did! Would love to see the Benedictine monastery too! I didn’t know that about the quarantine zone! Thanks, David

August 12, 2016 @ 9:51 am

So we’ve tried kayaking and all i can say is way too much like a work out, we prefer someone else to do the rowing! we’re so lazy LOL! But must have been great for a different perspective, as your pics show. Love the Game of Thrones locations and fascinating history, I remember the Balkan War, it wasn’t that long ago. And why did you have to make me google what a FKK beach was ?!

August 12, 2016 @ 10:14 am

My friend was saying how she didn’t need to do any paddling because I was going so fast! I was missing the gym 🙂 It was a great trip and I’m missing Dubrovnik so much right now! You mean you haven’t been to one?

August 12, 2016 @ 10:11 am

What a fantastic way of seeing a place with a whole new perspective! I have an image my mind of the sound of “sea silence” and you kayaking around enjoying the views listening to the fascinating history – brilliant! Love this adventure!

August 12, 2016 @ 10:16 am

The “sea silence” was broken up by my grunting as I tried to beat the couple paddling next to win! It’s definitely not the taking part! No, it was absolutely fantastic – highly recommend!

August 12, 2016 @ 12:16 pm

Looks like a lot of fun but I think I would opt for hiking it. I’m a sucker for any botanical gardens. But, it really looks like a beautiful place, thanks for sharing!

August 12, 2016 @ 2:26 pm

Yeah I would love to explore it on foot next time! The botanical gardens are said to be beautiful!

5. Anna Schlaht
    August 12, 2016 @ 2:24 pm

This sounds incredible! I’m glad you were able to re-book for another day and actually go. Swimming, cliff-jumping, kayaking, picnics on the beach… Sounds like my kind of day. 🙂

Great writing, by the way! I felt like I was there, learning about the history and seeing the cliffs. And from the pictures, it looks like you had a really beautiful day! Thanks for sharing!

August 12, 2016 @ 2:27 pm

Thank you Anna for the kind words 🙂 It was a fantastic day and the weather really was on our side!

August 12, 2016 @ 3:31 pm

What a great adventure. Kayaking from Dubrovnik to Lokrum Island. What a beautiful perspective from the ocean. Glad you didn’t go on the rough sea day that would have taken lots of work. After reading this I would definitely like to try this and see the beautiful countryside. Glad you had a great time!! Thanks for sharing…

August 12, 2016 @ 7:22 pm

Thanks Stephanie! Yeah I’m not the best I’m the water so wouldn’t want to be stranded in the middle of the Adriatic! Definitely recommend this!

7. Anisa
    August 12, 2016 @ 11:20 pm

I’m glad you were able to postpone the kayaking until the sea calmed down. Kayaking is challenging enough in calm waters. I would love to see the caves but I would not do any cliff diving!

August 13, 2016 @ 12:15 am

Yeah we were pretty lucky, especially since we only had one more day in Dubrovnik! It was great fun!

8. Marcelle Simone Heller
    August 13, 2016 @ 5:12 pm

I’d go for the special UNESCO reserve of forest vegetation walking some trails and visiting the Botanical Gardens. Lokrum Island looks awesome! #FeetDoTravel

9. Oana
    October 13, 2016 @ 8:36 pm

This looks like fun! I am taking some kayaking classes and hopefully I will go out on the sea as well. Nice writing and lovely pictures as always

October 13, 2016 @ 9:44 pm

Thanks Oana! The great thing is you don’t need any classes! Anyone can do it without prior experience! Hope you get to give it a try soon.

10. Timothy
    July 20, 2017 @ 6:33 am

This trip story is really inspiring. I’m so excited to visit Lokrum island. I like to kayaking in the ocean and Lokrum island seems like a perfect place for adventurous kayaking experience.

Thanks for letting know the expenses and directions to visit Lokrum island.
    Timothy recently posted…Review on Top 10 sea and touring kayaksMy Profile