June 3, 2016 @ 11:36 am

This is something I really need to get better at. While I do tend to walk a lot when I’m travelling, rather than taking public transport say, it’s not really enough. Particularly if you eat a lot and people tend to drink more while travelling I think. Some good ideas here and maybe just enough motivation for me to try them. Cheers!

June 3, 2016 @ 11:40 am

David, I think you’re absolutely right – I definitely relax my diet and drinking when I am travelling because there is usually so much great stuff to try! I’m conscious of it and, as a result, also make sure I exercise regularly to balance it a bit! Hope this helps!

June 3, 2016 @ 12:59 pm

Some great tips here! We are guilty of being a bit lack-lustre in the keeping fit department whilst travelling – but some of these suggestions are not only fun, but a great way of seeing a country i.e walking tours or cycling! Some of our best experiences were when we hired a bike – we definitely need to do more of that so thanks for this! Food for thought (hmmm maybe not the best phrase lol).

June 3, 2016 @ 1:02 pm

Haha well food is one of the big reasons why I travel. It’s my excuse to eat pretty much anything compared to at home where I avoid “bad” foods as much as I can. I think combining sightseeing and exercise is a winner – cycling tours are SO much fun! Thanks for reading!

June 3, 2016 @ 11:50 pm

Great post touching the subject of travel fitness. Having just finished a 2-year tour of Asia and Europe, I can vouch that’s it’s not impossible to keep fit – you just need to get creative. Beach runs, city park chin ups, hotel room yoga and $1 jungle gyms in Asia are the budget travellers best friend 🙂

June 4, 2016 @ 12:11 am

Barry, thanks, and I absolutely agree. It actually becomes pretty fun to look for workout opportunities. Did you ever get to the Lumpini Park gym in Bangkok?

4. Eva Jung
    June 7, 2016 @ 4:02 pm

Really nice post! 🙂
    I can’t ride a bike (so embarrassing but it’s true…), but I can go for free city tours! That’s actually I did in Kuala Lumpur!
    I had to walk for almost 3 hours and I was so exhausted!
    Thanks for the tips! 🙂

June 7, 2016 @ 4:41 pm

Eva, thanks for stopping by! I’m not actually amazing at riding myself but the walking tours are fantastic! What did you think of KL? I’ve been there 8 times due to stopovers!

5. Elena
    June 17, 2016 @ 12:33 pm

Awesome post! quite different perspective of travelling and keeping fit. I really liked it! I usually only walk when travelling but I would try cycling or any other tip you shared above on my next trip!! 🙂

June 17, 2016 @ 12:53 pm

Thanks Elena. These are all simple and cheap but will make you feel great about yourself on your travels!

6. Kevan
    June 17, 2016 @ 2:40 pm

Great ideas. I especially like the walking tour and and biking. Both are activities that can be healthy while at the same time you are still getting to take in the local scene and culture.

June 17, 2016 @ 2:51 pm

Kevan, thanks and you’re absolutely spot on. The tour guides normally only get paid via tips so they need to make sure that they give you a GREAT tour too!